Monday 12 July 2010

A FREE OPTION EXERCISE By Michael A. Kechula

A FREE OPTION EXERCISE

I turned up the lights in the briefing room, and glanced at Carter, Pierce, and Toliver, the latest crop of Group-5 assassin interns. They were mean looking bastards. I pitied the poor sonovabitches who might have to face them in close combat.

“Okay, we just watched the movie, "La Femme Nikita,” I said. “To recap, I showed it to you in response to your questions about the quality of women assassins. The one depicted in this movie was quite good, until she had a nervous breakdown.

Meanwhile, no matter how vicious some women are, none of our clients wants us to use them to fulfill contracts. So we don’t. It’s that simple. Now, before we break for lunch, I want to remind you that your term papers on best places to kill are due the day after tomorrow. Though none of you have actually assassinated anyone before, I can’t stress strongly enough the importance of this academic exercise. There’s one more thing: tomorrow night is your first wet exercise.”

The interns yelped, shook hands, patted each other on the back.

After a lunch break, Carter, Pierce, and Toliver returned to the underground classroom. As they came through the door, they were arguing about the merits of Winchester sniper rifles.

I tapped my desk with a silenced pistol to get their attention.

“Tomorrow’s exercise is structured similar to those you just saw in "La Femme Nikita,” I said. “You’ll be assigned separate hotel rooms in the seediest parts of the city. The envelope I’m handing each of you gives all the fine details. Don’t break the seal until midnight, tonight.”

“Can we choose our weapons?” asked Pierce.

“No, we’ve already selected them and placed them in hotel rooms. However, unlike what you saw in the movie, we won’t choose your targets. This is a free option exercise. You get to pick your target. The only rules that apply are: One, no children. Two, no young teens. Three, no pregnant women. Otherwise, you’ll enjoy complete freedom of choice. And here in Rio during Carnival, the pickings are unlimited.”

“Sounds great!” Carter said. “I’m going to keep my eye out for somebody really soused. I figure I’ll be giving the guy a break by sending him to eternity while he’s happy.”

“I’ll keep my eyes open for dregs,” Toliver said. “The kind that society would kiss my feet for eliminating.”

“I go along with Toliver,” Pierce said. “Brazil is teeming with human garbage. Too bad nobody will know we did it. The Mayor of Rio de Janeiro would probably give us the key to the city for weeding out some chaff.”

“By the way, before you get over-enthusiastic about cleaning up Rio, you’re authorized to kill only one person each during this exercise.”

They looked disappointed.

“Let’s discuss our observation system,” I said. “Your rifle scopes will contain nano gun cameras. The moment you turn on the scope’s power, it will be automatically connected via satellite to a central control center. I’ll be at the center monitoring you real-time. Everything you see through the scope, I’ll also see.”

Pierce asked about scoring.

“That’s detailed in your packets. One hundred is the ultimate, but only one person has ever achieved it. Me. Right here in Rio during Carnival. Group-5 would be delighted if you equal my score. In fact, they’ll make it worth your while.”

Toliver asked about achievement bonuses.

“For a minimum score of ninety, $20,000 will be deposited your Zurich accounts. Add $1,000 for each tick up to one hundred percent.”

“How long will it take before we know our scores?”

“Your individual scores will appear in your scopes the instant you fire.”

“Nice touch,” Pierce said.

“OK. We’ll have a post mortem meeting here, at 10:00 sharp, the morning after your adventure. We’ll review the gun camera tapes and examine all the positives and negatives. Good hunting!”

I knew they’d have a ball. I certainly did my first trip out. Deep inside, I wished I could join them. Nothing warms my heart better than a clean kill, even when I hire somebody else to do it.

Two days later at 10:00 AM, Carter and Pierce were in their seats babbling excitedly about their adventure. Carter had scored 92. Pierce, 93.

We waited for Toliver, but he never showed.

Then word came. Toliver had been sent back to the US, because his father had died. At least that’s what Group-5 told Carter and Pierce. I assured them he’d return to Rio after the funeral, and he’d pick up where he left off.

I lied.

Toliver did everything wrong from the moment he powered on his scope. His pulse rate was unacceptable, his blink rate was off the charts. He kept muttering something unintelligible in a shaky voice. Nearing panic, he acted much like the hapless female assassin he’d seen in the movie.

I pressed the CANCEL button on my console. He never knew what hit him when a nano rocket, launched from within the scope, pierced his eye and burst his brain.

When a recruit joins Group-5, he signs the contract in his own blood. His acceptance is conditional, pending intensive vetting. Toliver passed all tests, except the last.

He knew the risks. He accepted them.

He’s better off dead.


End

BIO:

Michael A. Kechula’s stories have been published by 128 magazines and 35 anthologies in 6 countries. He’s won first place in 10 contests and placed in 8 others. He’s authored three books of flash fiction, micro-fiction, and short stories: A Full Deck of Zombies--61 Speculative Fiction Tales, The Area 51 Option and 70 More Speculative Fiction Tales, and I Never Kissed Judy Garland and Other Tales of Romance. eBook versions available at http://www.booksforabuck.com/ and http://www.fictionwise.com/
 Paperbacks available at http://www.amazon.com/

1 comment: