Thursday 16 August 2012

DARK GENESIS by AJ Hayes

I was so pleased and excited to receive a tale by AJ Hayes at TK'n'C, being a great admirer of his noir and poetry. This story is a chilling and beautiful other side to his dark demeanour - and I hope you'll join me in bidding AJ welcome with...

DARK GENESIS


I am a thousand million years old and you know my name. You think there is more than one of me, but there, you're wrong. I am and have been and ever will be, alone. You have grown wiser these days with your science and data machines tracking some of my deeds. The ones I've let you know. You've found my places. The ones I used to use. Over the years you've inched closer and closer to me. And now, you're outside my final stand. Our final stand I should say, mine and hers. Backs to the granite walls we wait in the flickering light.

"Kiss me, love.” she says, her trellised scarlet hair loose and flaming down her back.

I do. Long and slow and sharp.
The amethyst stain of blood marks my claim between her breasts.

“Yes,” she says slow and death drowsy. “Yes.”

I lift my lips from her flesh that is my flesh.

“Remember the garden?” I ask and she nods and sleeps in my arms.

“Goodnight, Lilith,” I whisper and turn to face the great, brass-bound doors as they fall and your chain guns speak and a thousand thousand needles of cold iron shred us into a thousand thousand tiny pieces.

***

You were right about one thing you thought you knew about me. You were right in thinking it would take me a long time to reassemble my body from the tiny, bloody bits you made of it. It would have taken me eons to do that. You were perfectly correct to use the needle guns. It was brilliant.

The other thing you thought you knew though . . . was wrong.

***

I wake floating in the darkness of the primal deep. In my arms Lilith stirs and looks about us, her green eyes soft with sleep.

“Ah,” she murmurs. “Again.”

“Yes,” I answer.

“They were much more clever this time.”

“Yes.”

I gather her closer and let my nails lightly caress her. She shivers and her hair trails across my chest.
“But not clever enough,” she says.

“No.” I say and cup her tight curved belly. “They thought that fire would save them.”

Her lips track slow and soft on my chest and abdomen.

“Foolishness,” she whispers and moves further down.

“Yes,” I say.

***

You sought and scraped and collected every microscopic scrap of us, sealed us in a lead sarcophagus and placed us in your needle-pointed rocket. Then you fired us into the sun because you knew that the only thing that could destroy us was sunlight. You knew that we flamed into oblivion when the sun's rays struck us because we were, after all, the children of darkness. And, as everyone knew, light was the enemy of dark.

Pah! The sun has never hated us. The sun loves us. We burn in the sun because our very darkness incites the sunlight to greater glory. We are kerosine to its flame. Even sun rays weakened by ninety-three million miles of travel burn a hundred times hotter than the surface of Sol itself when we are engulfed by them.

Thus, when your rocket blew apart and the lead box around us melted and scattered our bits of flesh across the heart of the sun, that star heated instantly to a billion billion degrees hotter than it had ever burned. So hot, it slashed its exploding flames across the face of the cosmos in a microsecond and tore a hole in time. So hot that when the explosion became an implosion, it sucked the entire universe down into a shimmering bubble about the size of a beach ball.

And there was darkness on the face of the deep and the universe was void.

Except for us.

***

Lilith slides like lava up my body and poises above me, her mouth wide and our tongues dance a ballet. I hold her hips and slowly lower her. She gasps and her legs widen while she tightens around me.

“Father,” she says as her body thrusts slow and deep. “It's time.”

“I know, dear one,” I say, answering her movements with my own. “Only this time, I think I'll call you, Gaea.”

“Yes, that's a nice name. But quickly, please,” she moans. Her back arches and she thrusts harder. “The words, Father,” she moans, shuddering. “Now.”

I slash upward with my hips as sun fire runs through me and I stab my needled talons into the beach ball universe and it explodes into being.

“Let there be light,” I say.

And there is.

__________________________________

BIO: AJ Hayes lives in a small town near San Diego and he admires that particular patch of crazy a lot. Southern California is a never ending source of the weird and goofy and just plain scary and he finds comfort in that.

He's been published around the web and in a couple of anthologies. He finds great comfort in PT Barnum's saying about "Fooling all of the people some of the time."

35 comments:

  1. Blacker than the Earl of Hells waistcoat and positively littered with fantastic phrases throughout. The best being "amethyst stain of blood marks my claim between her breasts"

    Bravo Aj

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Grand and wonderful piece AJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT BRILLIANT.

    Honestly, AJ, I'll be back again when I've got more coherent thoughts but OMG THAT WAS AWESOME.

    You made me break my three year capslock hiatus, you awful man. ;)




    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the "brilliant." Fantastic concept and beautiful execution. Cheers, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aj---a little poetry mixed in with a provocative idea. Really impressive!! Enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geeze, you guys are gonna make me buy a new hat. Thanks all. I really like it when people I look way up to like my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So hot, on so many levels. I am sending you a thousand thousand kudos, Aj.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fook me, AJ, that was extraordinarily awesome, man! I knew you could write, but that was, is, summat else. I am officially stupefied with amazement. No shit.

    Yours, hat-tippingly,
    Col

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, mate. Is hat tipping a sport? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore this tale from the voices of gods as they spit and spawn in ever-spiralling energy. Right up my street - and so exquisitely written.

    Thank you for sending Dark Genesis TKnC's way, AJ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written and chilling. Masterful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Lady Death. And thank you sgain for placing my story here in your hallowed halls.

    Thanks Paul. I count your opinion very highly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reads like Richard Matheson in its sense of the primordial. Fantastic mythology here Bill, great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard. That's pretty fast company you put me with. I Am Legend will always be head and shoulders above its competition.

      Delete
  14. Increasing exposure to this genre has the effect of making me increasingly addicted ... and this doesn't help. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Sandra, there is a certain "salted peanuts" effect to the genre, isn't there? :)

      Delete
  15. Terrific writing, AJ, as always. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jooles. BTW my wife is getting a Jewlery by Jooles jones on, so we'll be doing a deal pretty quick. Ta.

      Delete
  16. AJ,

    I'm actually speechless as what to say.

    When I read the name Lilith, I had to go back and read the title and then I said to myself, "Yep, that's who he was going with here." Lilith being the first woman, before Eve.

    Then you slap us across the face with "father" and now it all makes perfect sense.

    I rarely use this word because it's used too often and in the wrong context but this is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christopher. Lilith has been a favorite character of mine for a long time. I'm glad I did her justice.

      Delete
    2. Lilith - me too, and that's an understatement.

      Delete
  17. Just wonderful Aj, a compelling read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks HH. Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful idea, AJ, and a seamless execution. Love the epic scale of the story. A bang on the nail winner.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Allan. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A truly outstanding piece of writing, AJ. How you crammed so much imagery and story into so few words is fantastic.

    Excellent work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You never fail to amaze me, AJ. Your a top practitioner of flash--everything is poetry, every word is imbued with more than one level of meaning. This is as good as it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Utterly sublime AJ. Almost speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  24. David, Chris and Daz. Thanks guys. We gotta have that drink someday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This one is on another level. I'm blown away. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really impressed by the way and words you have used.
    Awesome and bookmarked you for future worth reading posts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, hsb.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete